Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Chocolate - and Eating Local

Yeah, I like chocolate. I didn't have it for a very many years, because I get so addicted to it. But for now, I am having it again. I try to have as much of my food as possible come from local sources, so chocolate is an exception...

Speaking of local food sources, it is great that the idea of "Eating local" has become more widespread, for example, check out "The 100-Mile Diet".

Here are the two kinds of chocolate treats I currently am enjoying (well not right at this minute!). I chose them because they are organic, don't have animal products or much sugar, and don't have soy (Why not? see related post on soy):

1. Coconut Bliss

Dark Chocolate flavor of course! Delicious and only four ingredients! (organic coconut milk, organic agave syrup, organic fair trade cocoa, and organic vanilla extract) And as a bonus, it's a local company!


2. Vivani Organic Dark Chocolate – 85% cocoa

This is also delicious and only three ingredients! (organic cocoa mass, organic cocoa butter, and organic raw cane sugar.) It was hard to find a chocolate bar that didn't have soy lecithin. [I did find one other, Green & Black's Organic Mint Bar, it is very good, but also a bit sweeter than my 85% very dark chocolate] It is not a local company however - this chocolate comes from Germany!


I admit, when I first started having chocolate again, I nervously thought of the scene in the movie Chocolat where this guy eats a lot of chocolate in a chocolate shop window and then passes out... Hasn't happened yet, but you never know!

No comments: